The story of how the Anderson family acquired their land in Clermont has been passed down as follows:
When Ulysses S. Grant was President of the United States, following the Civil War, a prominent local citizen was Captain Anthony A. Clay. Neil’s great-grandfather (his father’s grandfather), John W. Anderson, was the wagon driver who transported Grant, Clay, fishing gear, and plenty of libations to the area’s bountiful trout streams. Anderson had just come over from Sweden in 1869 and spoke very little English, making him an ideal escort as whiskey flowed and tongues loosened around the campfire. When Clay was about to default on wages due to Anderson, he offered instead 186 acres, presently still in Anderson family hands.
Erected in the mid-19th century, the barn was originally used to house sheep, cows, horses, and hay. It is made of hemlock, in the three bay bank-style, and served the family’s subsistence farm.
Neil has memories of playing Tarzan here with his siblings in the 1960s–swinging on ropes and landing in the hay pile. Now he sits in the very same spot and plays his Fender Telecaster.